Breathing deeply is like taking vitamins.
It is the simplest thing you can do for your health. Mind and body. Simple, but not easy. Because we are so busy. Because we are always on our way to somewhere else. Because we will always find time for self-care after ___________________________. Fill in the blank. Fill in all the blanks.
But what if you just took 3 minutes. Or even 1 minute to sit yourself down and take your damn vitamins?
If we don’t have 3 minutes to spare, we are doing life wrong. That’s all I’m saying. You’re booking yourself too tight, man.
Science tells us:
- Controlling your breathing calms your brain.
- Breathing regulates your blood pressure.
- Counting breaths taps into the brain’s emotional control regions.
- Controlled breathing may boost the immune system and improve energy metabolism.
- Breathing will enhance your creativity and mental clarity.
- Breathing deeply reduces stress.
- Deep breathing helps you sleep better.
- Breath helps recovery from phyical exertion.
Want to try? Like, right now?
3 minutes. Take these few precious minutes right now and give it a go.
How to Do the 4-7-8 Breathing Exercise
- Start by sitting up straight in a comfortable position.
- Next, place the tip of your tongue on the ridge of your gums, just behind your upper front teeth.
- Expand your diaphragm and slowly inhale through your nose for a count of 4.
- Hold your breath for another count of 7.
- Open your mouth slightly, keeping your tongue in place, and exhale for a count of 8.
- Repeat this cycle four times.
For more resources on the science of breathing, follow these links:
Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.
I made a necklace as a reminder to breathe through all of what life throws at me. It’s a coin from India, the birthplace of yoga which is the practice of marrying breath with movement. Hand stamped by my own two little hands just for you.